Entry form to follow.
Rules and Guidelines:
1. Only one entry per contestant. Contestants must compose their own poems with no assistance from any outside source.
2. Entries will be judged in two divisions:****
Junior Division - contestants ages 8-12 no more than 36 lines of poetry
Senior Division, contestants ages 13-18 no more than 36 lines of poetry
3. Poems must be submitted in the approved format. The poem, along with the requested information will serve as the entry form. Entries may be typewritten, produced on a word processor, or handwritten legibly in pen or pencil.
4. Poets should keep a copy of their poem. No entries will be returned.
5. All entries must be mailed to the address given below and postmarked no later than September 30th in order to be eligible for judging. Ten finalists in each division will be notified by October 20th regarding selection, prizes, scholarship information and rules of final competition. Finalists will be required to recite their poem by memory on Saturday, October 27th at THE RED STEAGALL COWBOY GATHERING held in the Stockyards National Historic District of Fort Worth.
6. In order to fulfill its mission of recognizing and rewarding students from the North Texas area, the event will only accept entries from students who attend school in the following counties: Tarrant, Dallas, Young, Jack, Stephens, Shackleford, Erath, Hood, Ellis, Kaufman, Collin, Cooke, Montague, Wise, Denton, Navarro, Fannin, Hunt, Grayson, Comanche, Clay, Archer, Baylor, Wilbarger, Wichita, Callahan, Parker, Palo Pinto, and Eastland, Sommervelle and Johnson.
The judging criteria is as follows:
1. Poems should reflect an understanding and creative use of cowboy language. Poem topics should relate to western life such as ranching, animals, land, environment, home, family, events, pets, friends, and characters.
2. Poems should reflect an understanding and appreciation of the cowboy heritage. They should be authentic and original. Poets are encouraged to research their topic if necessary to obtain a thorough understanding.
3. Poems should be well crafted, flow smoothly, and be easy to read and listen to.
4. Poems should be entertaining and may be written from serious, inspirational or humorous points of view.
5. Poets should present the material in a convincing and
Junior (Birthdate as of September 27th)
Senior (Birthdate as of September 27th)
Send entries to:
The Red Steagall Cowboy Gathering,
Young Writers Poetry Contest
P. O. Box 4507
Fort Worth, Texas 76164-0507